FreeTaxUSA is an online tax preparation website that allows you to prepare, print, and e-file your taxes for free. It’s one of the fastest growing tax planning sites and has many of the same options as other popular tax programs.
Packed with many of the features you’d expect, FreeTaxUSA supports all major tax forms – including the ability to report investments, rental property, and home ownership information. It’s great if you’re filing jointly or are self-employed, and includes all the necessary forms for HSA contributions and K-1 income, too.
When it comes to filing your taxes, finding a low-cost e-filing solution that offers high-quality service is essential. This software has most of the features for basic and advanced tax preparation, and is a great choice for DIY tax filers.
Plans & Pricing
FreeTaxUSA makes it simple and offers just 2 packages; Free and Deluxe Edition.
By using this plan, you pay nothing to file your federal return, and $12.95 for each state return. Since it includes the vast majority of IRS forms and schedules, it’s ideal for tax situations of virtually any complexity. That said, because the Free Edition lacks priority customer support and audit assistance, it’s not a good option for novice filers and those who worry about the potential of an IRS or state audit.
FreeTaxUSA’s Free Edition includes:
- All Supported IRS and State Forms –Free Edition users enjoy access to all the IRS and state forms supported by FreeTaxUSA, including Schedules A, B, C, D, E, and K.
These forms cover a wide range of situations, from small business and freelance income to capital gains from a sale of a home or other asset.
- Previous-Year Return Importing and Data Transfer. If you’re a returning FreeTaxUSA customer, the program automatically populates your current-year return with demographic, income, and personal information from your previous return.
- Customer Support. All FreeTaxUSA users can contact the company through its email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by opening an onsite support ticket. You access these resources via the right sidebar of your return-prep interface, or via the “Customer Support” button on the homepage tab. Support inquiries typically produce a response within 24 hours, even on weekends, and sometimes much sooner. It is important to note that FreeTaxUSA doesn’t have a customer support phone number. All help is provided by email or direct messaging.
- Storage for Completed Returns. FreeTaxUSA stores completed returns in PDF format at no charge. Your entire return history is accessible – there’s no limit on how long FreeTaxUSA stores returns or how many of a particular user’s returns it can handle. If you prefer not to rely on FreeTaxUSA’s cloud storage, you can download or print completed returns yourself.
With FreeTaxUSA’s Deluxe Edition, it costs $6.99 to file your federal return and $12.95 for each state return. Its main advantage is a suite of included no-cost support features (such as audit assistance and free priority customer service) that aren’t available with the Free Edition. Thanks to these features, the Deluxe Edition is a good choice for filers who need additional support and peace of mind without paying a whole lot extra for it.
FreeTaxUSA’s Deluxe Edition includes all the features available in the Free Edition, plus:
- Free Priority Support. FreeTaxUSA used to charge Free Edition users for priority support – in other words, to get their queries pushed to the front of the line as soon as they emailed or opened an online support ticket. That is no longer the case. Instead, Free Edition users don’t have the option to get priority support. If you want FreeTaxUSA to answer your questions ahead of others, you need to upgrade to Deluxe.
- Live Chat. FreeTaxUSA offers live chat support to Deluxe users only. You can reach a live person to handle your queries Monday through Friday during extended business hours. This feature isn’t available on weekends or overnights.
- Free, Unlimited Amended Returns. With Deluxe, you can amend and re-file as many previous returns as you like for free.
- Audit Assist. This free feature is only available with Deluxe. It provides access to on-staff audit specialists who provide complete, well-researched answers to questions about IRS correspondence and the audit process. Audit specialists personally review specific pieces of correspondence, ensuring hands-on, case-by-case support.
Pros & Cons
- Supports all major tax forms for free without needing to upgrade
- Access over 350 credits and deductions
- Most refunds are received in less than 21 days
- Information is carried forward each year so you don’t need to re-enter data
- State filing costs extra
- Extra cost for live chat support
- No phone support (email only)
Filing your taxes doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. FreeTaxUSA offers a robust program with excellent features that allow you to file your federal forms for free.
While other online tax software sites make you upgrade to a premium version if you’re self-employed or have rental income, FreeTaxUSA does not. With FreeTaxUSA, you get access to all the major tax forms and more than 350 deductions and credits with their Free edition.You also get a 100% Accuracy Guarantee and the option to print your tax return for free.
If you’re looking for a solid tax preparation service at a low cost, FreeTaxUSA is a excellent choice.